It is a statutory obligation for students in Year 10 to participate in a two-week work placement. The placement will take place in the summer term, with the exact date determined each year and communicated to students and parents in the Autumn Term. The dates for 2012 are Monday 9th to Friday 20th July
Work experience can have a number of benefits for the student. It can help to:
- gain a greater understanding of the world of work and how businesses operate
- learn what an employer will expect of you as an employee ie punctuality, dress code etc
- learn new skills
- decide what kind of work you might choose when you leave school (or what you don't want to do!)
- understand more about the skills needed for different jobs in order to make a more informed decision about your choice of career
- develop self confidence - many students appreciate being treated as an adult and respond well to being given responsibility
- It can be a useful feature to include on your CV when you apply for a job after leaving school.
There are two ways for students to arrange their placement, Own Placements and Data-base Placements.
Students will be expected to arrange their own placements through family friends, local businesses, parents or any other sources. To do this they must collect an ‘Own Find Form’ from the school and take it to the employer to complete. The form will then need to be completed by the pupil and their parents. Employers offering ‘Own Find’ placements cannot be sole traders and must have employers and public liability insurance in place.
This is only used for those students who really cannot find their own placement. The London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames Education Business Partnership has a limited stock of placements on their database, http://richmond.learnaboutwork.net. However Students will not be able to access the database until late in the process, and only on issue of a Pin Number. The database will give students a choice of area of work, and area of living following which they will automatically be allocated a placement. Students are expected to attend that placement.
The school hold a parent/carer information session about work experience towards the latter part of the Autumn Term. Please look out for a Parentmail or check this page for the date and time.
Any questions should be directed to Laura Clarke, firstname.lastname@example.org, 0208 614 5283.